Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thought-Provoking Doors

   Today, I found a really interesting quote that goes along with something I have been thinking about  recently.

     "When one door of happiness closes, another opens,
      but often we look so long at the closed door that
      we do not see the one that has been opened for us"
                                -Helen Keller

   I love that. To me it says that we have to be proactively searching for those doors that are opened to us, and that if we spend time staring at those doors that are already closed, we are sure to miss out on a lot.
  The other day, a friend posed an interesting thought to me. They said something to the extent that when one door closes, another door opens, but just because it is an open door doesn't mean that it is the right door.
     So, how do we know that the open door that is looming in front of us is the right door? Well, since God is the one that opens and closes the vast majority of those doors for us, I think it would be safe to say that God will know the right door for each of us, individually. I know this to be true. God loves us and wants to bless us, and all we have to do is ask Him what is best for us, and He will show us the way.



         Another interesting thought since we are on the subject of doors. Thinking about Christ and something He said while among the people in Jerusalem. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me"  (Revelations 3:20). I love the painting of Christ at the door. It never has a doorknob, showing that Christ will never force His way in, but that we must allow Him in. This can be applied generally to many doors in life that we ourselves have to go forth and open, instead of waiting for someone to open them for us. Just like the door that Christ knocks on, there are other doors which only wait for us to make a conscious effort in opening them ourselves.





     Lastly, I really like John 10:9. It says, "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." (John 10:9). Going back to the beginning, though there are many doors that constantly are being open and closed all around us, ultimately the most important one is Christ Himself, who is the way, the truth, and the life. If we look to Him as an example, and strive with all our might to follow, we will find a greater joy and happiness than by any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment