Friday, May 6, 2011

The Power of Deliverance

     This morning, I read a really awesome scripture in the Book of Mormon. I wanted to share it with ya'll. "...But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." (1 Nephi 1:20). I had to read this over a few times to get the full meaning of what this was saying. Here are a few important notes in understanding this scripture:
 
    First, the tender mercies of the Lord are over all whom He hath chosen.
    Second, the way we become "chosen" is by exercising our faith in Him.
    Third, it is not their faith that makes them mighty unto deliverance, but it is the Lord that makes them mighty unto deliverance, because of their faith.
    
     As I studied this scripture, I learned that there is a very personal application in all of this. Though for Lehi and his family it was being delivered from the imminent destruction of Jerusalem, it can be applied more generally to all of us in each of our lives. We don't necessarily need to be delivered from a city that is about to be destroyed, but for us, it can be applied to the storms of life that we all must face from time to time, and from whence we seek deliverance. Thankfully, Christ performed the Atonement and is capable of delivering us from anything that may come our way, so long as we put our faith in Him. That is why He is called our Savior.
      
    If we will but put our faith in Him, He will, just as He did for Lehi and His family, make us mighty even unto the power of deliverance. I have seen this in my own life and I know firsthand that He will make good His promises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment