Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back to the Basics: The Holy Ghost

     Well, hello again, it seems like it's been a while since I have last posted, when in reality, it has only been about two or three days. First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone for reading and following this blog. So far, I think it's going along pretty well and I have noticed that this blog has been a huge boost to my own testimony as I have studied and pondered on the basics of the Gospel. Secondly, I was wondering if ya'll could comment and let me know what you think of the blog so far, what you like/dislike about it, what I could do to improve, and so on and so forth. And also, if there is anything ya'll would like me to discuss or any questions you might have, let me know. I have also decided to make a few changes to my posts, such as linking scriptures and a couple of other things. It should make everything that much more fun!  
    So, after discussing faith and prayer, I think it would be appropriate to talk about the Holy Ghost - who is He, what does He have to do with prayer, what does He feels like, and how can we have Him with us constantly?

         First off, Who is the Holy Ghost?
                The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is often referred to throughout the scriptures as the Spirit, the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of God, and the Holy Ghost.

         Next, What does the Holy Ghost have to do with prayer??
               Well, pretty much everything! When we pray, we can receive answers through the Holy Ghost. He is like God's messenger, and lets us know the mind and will of God for us and for those who we have charge over. So, along with receiving answers through the scriptures, and through other people, God also uses the Holy Ghost to answer our prayers.

         So if we know that he often answers our prayers through the Holy Ghost, the next important question to ask would be,
        What does the Holy Ghost feel like and how can I recognize those answers when they come?
               Well, there are a lot of sweet scriptures that talk about this. A few of my favorite are 1 Kings 19:11-13, Galatians 5:22-23, and Helaman 5:30. Since I have so conveniently linked them, I don't have to put them in the blog, but they talk about how the Spirit is a still, small voice, and that it brings us feelings of love, joy, peace, and so on. I am going to assume that you clicked on the links and was able to read the scriptures. Cool scriptures, huh?
                 There is also a really cool article that I read this morning in the Ensign, the magazine the church puts out each month. It is called Finding Answers. You can also listen to it HERE.

         So lastly, if I recognize the Holy Ghost and knows what he feels like when he is there, the last and most important question to ask would be,
          How can I keep the Holy Ghost with me constantly?
                 That my friend, is a really good question. I am glad you asked. It is a question I have pondered for a while now, and have come up with a few things that I view as the most important for us to keep the Holy Ghost in constant companionship with us. They are, first, daily scripture study. (Wow, just heads up, that may or may not be my next topic.....stay tuned). As we read the holy scriptures, we can gain a greater understanding of the gospel. They also invite the Spirit in, and allow us to grow because of Him. Also, going back to previous blogs, it is absolutely VITAL that we are praying at least twice a day, but more often than that is definitely better. As we continue to talk with God, we get to know Him a lot better and can more fully learn God's will for each of us, and what He would have us do. And lastly, of all things, I think developing the Christlike Attributes of faith, hope, charity, and love would be the most beneficial as we strive to keep the Spirit with us constantly.

      I know that keeping the Holy Ghost close to us is one of the best things we can do each day as we strive to overcome the temptations and evil that surround us. At times it may be difficult, but as we do our very best to read each day from the scriptures, pray continually, and develop faith, hope, charity, and love, we can gain a greater understanding of God and develop a special relationship with Him. The goal may seem distant and impossible to reach, but the journey makes it all worth it. God has granted us the Spirit to guide us every step of the way, and now it is our job to pray for His guidance, learn to listen to it's promptings, and go forward in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment