Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Attitudes

    I was reading the scriptures this morning and in it, I found something that struck me differently than ever before. I found it while comparing 1 Ne 2:12 and 1 Ne 2:16. These scriptures follow right after their father, Lehi, who also was a prophet, told them that they had to leave Jerusalem because it was going to be destroyed. Laman, lamuel, and Nephi are all sons of Lehi. Notice the contrast in Laman and Lemuel's attitude, and Nephi's attitude.

   12) "And thus Laman and Lemuel, being the eldest, did murmur against their father. And they did murmur because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them."
   16) "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers."

   That is a HUGE difference! It all goes back to their attitudes. Something that always strikes me is that not only Laman and Lemuel, but Nephi also, didn't want to leave, as shown when he says that God softened His heart. Why would he need his heart softened, unless he was having a hard time leaving? So, it wasn't so much in the fact that they didn't want to leave, but it was in their desires, and then subsequent actions that truly showed their attitudes.
     Laman and Lemuel murmured because they knew not the dealings of God, and may I add, neither would they seek to understand them. Compare their attitudes to that of Nephi's, who first desired the things of God, and then sought after them. When he did, the Lord softened his heart, and he was given the strength and comfort to follow the commandments of God.
    In any given situation, we can either choose to be like Laman and Lemuel who murmured and complained when trials they did not understand came their way. Or we can choose to be like Nephi, who, when faced with tribulation, knelt down and prayed to understand, resulting in a softened heart and a desire to more closely follow the commandments of God. I suggest that following the example of Nephi will always bring us much greater results and happiness, and bring us far closer to God, than will following the examples of Laman and Lemuel. Let us all strive to be like Nephi, and rely on the Lord in all our weaknesses and trials. I know that if we do this, He will give us the strength, understanding, and comfort for us to continue on, no matter what we are faced with.

Book of Mormon prophet, Nephi

1 comment:

  1. I loved this as I can truly relate with Lehi. Dad and I have always strived to follow the Lord and though it may have been difficult, there was no denying what the Lord was telling us and we had to be obedient. Unless our children had the attitude of Nephi, they truly did not have an understanding of what the Lord wanted. I truly hope one day, that all our children will be Nephi's and see the decisions that Dad and I have made was truly from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete