Friday, October 7, 2011

A Lack of Communication

    Recently, I have been contemplating the concept of communication. My companion and I have had to learn a lot about that over the course of our 4 1/2 months together.  An account in the Bible came to mind one afternoon a couple of weeks ago. It is the story of the Tower of Babel. The full account can be found in Genesis 11, but for this post, I will put just verses 6, 7, and 8 up. They read:



6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their alanguage, that they may not understand one another’s speech.

8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

    As I contemplated this story, I realized that construction on the Tower didn't stop because God destroyed the tower. Rather, construction on the Tower stopped because He confused their language, that they were not able to communicate with each other.

   I have seen this many times over the course of my mission, and my life. Whenever my companion and I would stop talking to each other, usually due to frustration, and sometimes anger, nothing would get resolved, and very little was accomplished.

    From this story, and from my own daily interactions with people, I have learned this valuable truth: that When communication ceases, so does progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment