Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hidden Treasures

      Yesterday was our preparation day as missionaries, where we have from the hours of 10 AM to 5 PM to prepare for the rest of the week by shopping, emailing our families, and having a bit of R&R if we have time. So, as we always do, we headed to Walmart, TJ Max, and then, on to Goodwill! As I was rummaging through the ties I didn't really find anything at first that was even sort of appealing. But, I kept searching for a little while longer, and as I moved aside a couple of ties, I finally saw a pretty good looking tie. Not only that, but it was a Wembley! For all of you who aren't tie fanatics, which is okay, Wembley's rank up there with Trumps, and Georgio Armanis. Ok, maybe not that high, but just a teeny step below. I promptly purchased it for $1.68 - best purchase of my life!


  (No this isn't the actual tie, but it is a Wembley. Still, my tie is like ten times better)


    What does this have to do with anything? Well, it took me a little while to think up an analogy. As I pondered, I thought about all the different hidden treasures in our life that we search for often. Like lost keys, a good job, or in my case, a beautiful tie at a thrift store. But, there are also hidden treasures that can be found in less obvious places as well. I speak that of scriptures. If we just skim over the scriptures, like I did as I was browsing through the ties, we are going to be sure to miss out on so much. But, if we truly dive into the scriptures, striving to "uncover" the deeper meanings and personal applications, there is a treasure trove of valuable things that can be gained.




      Nephi said it best when he said, "Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" (2 Nephi 32:3). I have found throughout my life that there is much to be gained as we feast upon the words of Christ by studying them diligently and not just browse. As we do this, we will find those hidden treasures found in the scriptures.
     

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Elder Robison. In preparation for teaching "Press Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ" in our ward's youth gospel doctrine class, I came across your blog. Your entry about finding hidden treasures as we feast upon the words of Christ is excellent counsel to today's youth. I plan to use your quote in the lesson. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete